Affiliate Disclaimer: We're a participate in the Amazon affiliate program. Therefore, we may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page, at no extra cost to you!
Bosch 1617EVSPK Woodworking Router Review!
Bosch has a reputation for producing only what is best! And let’s be honest, buying just the right woodworking tool has never been a piece of cake. You must not only check the prices and buy what’s most affordable – you want a high-quality tool that will prove your money well spent. You’re probably thinking of features like power, accuracy, how easy the router is to handle, and what features it has that makes it worth buying?
Luckily, with this Bosch 1617EVSPK router review, we will answer all these questions for you. Whether you’re here because you can’t make a final decision, or you simply want to know all the pros and cons of the Bosch 1617EVSPK router, we have you covered. With this short review, we hope to ensure you feel confident in buying your next wood router.
The Bosch 1617EVSPK is like no other when it comes to power. It distinguishes itself from other routers on the market as one of the most powerful routers at 12 amps and 2.25 horsepower. The Bosch 1617EVSPK allows you to control the speed of revolutions per minute (RPM) for maximum user-ability.
The range for this router is 8,000 to 25,000 RPM which can allow you to work on practically any section of the wood with consistency and power.
This speed control technology allows you to set the router to your preferred pace for any surface of material that you work on. The radius of the base is 3 inches.
We’re always second guessing every product bought online. In fact, we’re second guessing every product we buy in general! However, this wood router will set some of your fears to rest. With a one-month money back guarantee, one-year warranty and one-year service protection plan, you know you don’t need to worry about durability when it comes to this wood router.
Regarding features, the bases are made of aluminum along with the motor housing which makes it extremely durable and somewhat lighter, hence, easier to use. The main switch is dust-sealed as well.
Woodworking is no easy task and accuracy is something you can’t take chances on. To pair well with your experience, this router has a microfine bit-depth adjustment with a range of 1-inch and accuracy of 1/64 inch on the base. The real flexibility of this kit comes through with the provision of all the tools for a fixed depth routing.
These features will allow you to make split second changes with the utmost accuracy. It also has a chip deflector that makes sure that the wood that is being worked on doesn’t chip. This results in a much smoother, cleaner and visible surface!
The handles for the hand router are rounded and polished hardwood which allows the device to be held firmly and hence, making it very comfortable to use. Furthermore, the aluminum make-up of this router makes it light weight, making it easy to operate.
Pros and cons
Here are some pros…
- Before anything else, the product itself really is quite versatile and can be used for slot and dovetail cutting, bit plunging, laminate trimming and edge cutting. As aforementioned, it has an adjustable speed-dial that can help maintain consistency as per your requirement.
- The aluminum makes it quite durable and the machine protects itself from a lot of damage due to the aluminum. The wooden handles, ¼ inch and ½ inch collet chucks that holds the router to make working on the material easier, shaft and collet nut wrench chip shields, and plunge bases help increase its durability as well.
- The speed control, its relative light weight, and its rounded easy-to-grip wooden handles makes this wood router very easy to use. It even has a built-in Constant Response Circuitry which monitors the speed and controls it for a consistent pace and cleaner, and more professional results outcomes.
But, here are some cons…
- Unfortunately, this wood router doesn’t come with a huge variety of attachments like some other routers on the market. If you’re a very versatile woodworker, you may find yourself buying additional products separately such as an edge guide, dust collector, and bushings. Not having these attachments won’t kill you, but they will definitely help in the long run.
- As it is made of aluminum, the Bosch 1617EVSPK may bend out of shape every so often and might feel a little flimsy. However, the trade off is a very durable wood router that will last for many years to come.
- It has a unique template unlike what most people are used to. While not much of a problem, it can often take some time to adjust.
What's the Verdict?
All said and done, this is one of Bosch’s best products and is surely worth your money at less than $250! For any woodworker or DIY enthusiast, this is easily your best pick as it has all the features you need and more with its two plunge bases and speed control technology. It’s extremely versatile, provides excellent precision, and will be able to complete any job you throw at it with ease!
We hope you enjoyed our Bosch 1617EVSPK router review and you now feel a little more confident in your purchase. If you’re still unsure about which wood router is right for your woodworking needs, be sure to check out our article on the Top 10 Wood Routers of 2019!